Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dizionario?

Wake up this morning to frozen face and check computer... 45 degrees. Ahh! I haven't consistently felt this cold in a long time. I decide to do something with my hair despite temperature and lack of hairdryer. I wet it and attempt to dry it via radiator. Waste of 15 minutes.

I am now a pro public transportation user. Get to school without problems, enjoy freezing cold morning. A teacher tells me I can go back to the slow class, which could be an insult but I consider dancing. Slow class is two students, a woman in her 60s? from Denmark and me. I learn how to describe my daily routine and change favorite word to poi which sounds more Japanese than Italian. We go on break and I go with Denmark lady downstairs to get espresso (yay!) Denmark lady (Mona) proceeds to speak to me in Danish. I look confused and she laughs and switches to English. Run in to confused asian couple on way back to class. They're carrying around a piece of paper with "torre di pisa". I ask if they speak English and they look like they want to hug me. I explain how to get there, but say the bus system is incredibly confusing and I wish them luck. Their face drops and they look less like they want to hug me. I must have looked like them my first day here.

Class ends early because it is smaller and "more intense." I'm just happy I learn something. Take correct bus home on first try (double yay!) Stand around apartment bored for 10 minutes. Decide to go to tower and look for italian-english dictionary. The walk there is beautiful. The sun is shining and feels warm and I am tempted to dance for the second time today. Settle for bouncing as I walk. This cannot be reality.


Wander around Piazza dei Meracoli and find 4,000 t-shirts but no dictionary. I ask a street vendor where I might find one. In a weird mix of Italian and English we understand each other. Realize I am looking for a book during the two hours of the day when everything is closed. Stare at tower for awhile. Eventually I get to the book store and find what I want. After, I realize I am super hungry and stop for pizza. Carry pizza back to piazza because how often can I eat by the leaning tower? A sign in front of the tower says the grass is closed (looks nice and green to me), so I move further down. End up sitting next to American girl (from California) who is randomly traveling around Europe as she pleases. How lucky! We attempt to make plans but she is staying in Florence for a day then moving on to Venice. We discuss shortness and lack of significant lean in tower. (See below.) Still cool to see and really pretty architecture.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Soooo... you did buy us all t-shirts then right? Ahahaha! Glad you figured out the transportation thing. You should try going all the way to Livorno this weekend, you could go to the base and shop. So have you cooked anything there yet? Why is your room so cold? You know, when I post these comments, I have to type the "word in the box" spam disuader, and all the words so far have looked Italian... LOL~!

Amanda said...

Finally figured out how to reply to comments! lol I think it's the concrete walls that keep this place arctic. And I tried to disable the spam thing. I know they are annoying.