Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama



Woke up yesterday to another cold day. I'm starting to really like it even though I'm almost never warm. School was fine with the exception of the end of the class, when my teacher asked (in Italian) if I had learned anything. I told her I didn't understand what she was saying, she repeated herself slower. Still didn't understand. After several attempts she said in English "I'm asking if you learned any Italian!!" Guess not?

Even after that conversation she told me I should probably go back to the fast class Tuesday. (Monday is a national holiday and everything is closed.) I've never dreaded progress so much in my life.

After class I wandered around some more. Because I still cannot find the grocery store, I walked back to the leaning tower and got a hotdog. After eating, I went on the hunt for a hairdryer. For the life of me, I can't figure out where Italians buy hairdryers! I looked everywhere!! I did accidentally find the Arno River, so pretty.

I also went with Dany and his coworkers to November Fest (in October) to celebrate Germany. It seems like everyone in the world likes to celebrate the land of beer. Of course there were the Italian girls dressed as Germans, giant hotdogs, beer, pretzels, and more beer.  I did try some, although I am far from a beer drinker. It kinda tasted like apple juice, until I swallowed. Then it just tasted like beer. 

The way they sold beer was a little different. You pay a ridiculous amount for the mug and the beer. Then when you are done, you bring back the mug and they refund your money- if you didn't destroy anything.

My favorite part of the whole night was when the band started singing Sweet Home Alabama. I started laughing and Dany said "What? It's Deutsche!"  Yeah, no. Definitely about as American as you can get.

And no, he is not drunk in this picture. He hadn't had anything yet. 







                                                                          
                                                                          




3 comments:

Diane said...

Was the beer warm? Yuk! Did you ever find a hairdryer? You can probably get one on the base at Livorno...

Mary said...

Sounds like you're having a real adventure! I really enjoyed reading your blog. How long will you be there? I think it's great that you're doing things you enjoy before settling down to adult life! LOL You know-work and stuff like that. Love you and miss you. Keep the posts coming
Aunt Mary

Amanda said...

Found one today Diane!

And Aunt Mary, glad you enjoy reading. I know I enjoy venting! haha Hope everything is going well for you!