Thursday, October 28, 2010

Age of Aquarius

Wake up this morning to fog on the inside of the french doors. Not a good sign when your room already feels arctic, because that means it's even colder outside. Walk across tile floor in socks (I have never worn socks so often!), check computer, 37 degrees. Look out window for snow. No snow : (

Buy ticket at tabaccheria, where it is .50 euros cheaper than on the bus. I kinda like the cashier, she's patient with me and my horrible italian. Tabaccheria is a really small convenience store, without convenient things (except tickets.) Really have no clue what else she sells. There is a slot machine though. Italians will put a slot machine anywhere there is an outlet. No wonder Dany stays busy.

I am back in the slow class. Love it! I spend 3 minutes reading the homework that took me 2 hours to do (with some help from Dany's cousin.) At break, go downstairs with Mona (woman from Denmark) for a cappuccino. Age of Aquarius is playing on the speaker which makes me laugh (at odd choice of song) and randomly think of Maddie's mom. Cappuccino has consistently tasted awful after first day but we still go to the same place. Need to find better coffee shop. This is Italy, after all!

Class ends and I make my way to the bus station. I realize I don't have a 1€ coin to buy a ticket (and no change is given in the machine.) Decide to buy an umbrella from street vendor for 3€ (in case of another monsoon and to get change.) Street vendor speaks no english (fine) and is rude (not fine). I pay with a 10€ and he gives me a 5€ bill and a 2€ coin. I hate euros. Somehow the math makes no sense to me and I insist on getting a 1€ coin. Rude street vendor is now quite angry with me. I refuse to leave him alone. Eventually he digs through his pockets and gives me a 1€ coin. I hate euro coins!

Buy ticket and board correct bus on first try. Feeling quite proud of myself. Sit in front of bus in attempt to locate super market (have eaten nothing but lettuce and noodles for 3 days now.) It is a woman bus driver; women tend to be much more aggressive and impatient than male bus drivers. Notice bus is going to middle of nowhere. See a sign that indicates we are leaving Pisa. Start to wonder where we are going. Check sign, I am on the correct bus. Driver stops. Tells me she is going on break. Insists I get off bus. I look behind me, I am the only person left. Uh oh. I ask if another bus is coming, she says yes. Get off bus. Am in bus stop in middle of nowhere.


Houses in background are mirage of civilization. Read bus sign, no bus will be here for at least an hour. Figure I can walk home in that time, or at least get back to Pisa. Start walking. Can not remember from which direction I came. Open map. Can't find any streets on map. Walk for another 20 minutes. I am in farm pasture territory. Chances of never being found again increasing with every step. See a guy on bicycle and wave frantically. He stops. I ask where I am and hand him the map. He stares at the map and raises eyebrows. Car almost hits us and driver honks and yells in Italian. I almost pee my pants. Guy on bicycle doesn't flinch.  He opens the map wider and I open my eyes wider. He points about six inches off the map and says "We are here." Flips map over to all of Tuscany and points. I am not at all where I want to be. He points in the direction from which I came and tells me good luck. I start walking again and find same bus stop. Am walking in giant circles. Decide it's better to wait it out.

Bus eventually comes. I board and the driver turns the bus off. I try not to scream. Bus driver looks at me and says he is just taking a smoke break. I shouldn't worry. I decide I should look in to becoming an Italian bus driver. Apparently I can do what I want, when I want.

2 hours of travel time and I make it back to my room.

The only way I will ever be able to live with the Pisan bus system is to accept that I will never understand it.

4 comments:

.debbie Gable said...

Well, this is how travel broadens your view of the world! You dig in those heels, girl- I am so proud of you. Would definitely want you on my SURVIVOR team!

Diane said...

so you love the way they randomly take breaks, at least it wasn't their siesta time you would have been hours waiting. but thats the adventure in traveling to new places. just be ready for sunday nothing is open and nothing happens as far as public transportation except the trains. love you dad

Amanda said...

Debbie- Aww, thanks! And I would be on your survivor team any day :)

Dad- Not only will Sunday be slow, Monday is a national holiday.

LaurenDixon said...

when i was in milan, i had a "cafe crema" and it was soooo good. tasted like it had some mocha in it.

also, i LOVE your room. OMG, so jealous.