Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fine Settimana

Wake up after 9am today. First day sleeping late in Italy! I'm not meeting Dany until after lunch, so I have some time to kill. Want to attempt once again to find a grocery store and/or buy a hairdryer. Wish I have a pedometer, I'm curious how far I'm walking. I could use google maps, but that won't take in to account the multiple circles I seem to walk in.

Have no luck finding grocery store or hairdryer. Do find creepy looking church. It looks a lot happier in this picture than in real life. Just imagine the white skies as rainy-looking clouds. And add creepy music. And remember, you are alone.

At some point along my quest for groceries/hairdryer I become super hungry. Absolutely refuse to overpay for another hotdog at the Leaning Tower. Dany is also running late (although it isn't his fault.) Frustration+hunger+more frustration= Amanda in a bad mood. By the time Dany and his coworker pick me up, I am one sniffle away from breakdown. Act like typical person of my gender and insist I am fine, even with my sour face.


We stop at a mall and I eat. Am happier now, although still upset about general lack of being able to find what I want, when I want. Trying to learn some patience.

We go to a sports store to get appropriate clothing for tomorrow's adventure. Am not thrilled about how much jackets cost, but worth not feeling cold the rest of the trip.

Go back to mall, which contains a Coop (pronounced "cop"), a WalMart-like store that is big enough to eat anything America has come up with so far. Finally go grocery shopping. Grocery section is like the mall on Christmas Eve. Absolutely packed and chaotic. Find yogurt with a picture of acorns. Ask Dany what flavor it is, he points to the picture. I tell him acorns are for squirrels, but buy it anyway out of curiosity. Picking out fruits and vegetables is a nightmare. Here you have to wear gloves to pick out what you want, then you bag it like in the states. After, you fight to take it to a small scale to get a price sticker. Decide to just get tomatoes for now. 

WalMart on steroids also has (guess!) hairdryers! Am super thrilled until I see the prices. Seriously contemplate pros and cons of having wet head. Decide to go ahead and spend more euros on tiny travel size hairdryer than I did on home hairdryer that includes attachments. Hairdryer is half of my total bill. At least it promises a "model look." End up with this collection (clicking on the photo enlarges it, if you're curious about packaging.)


Google "nocciole". Happy to know Italians don't eat acorns, they eat hazelnuts.

1 comment:

Diane said...

mmmm...hazelnuts as in nutella...did you get some of that? I think it's cheaper over there than over here. So what adventure are you going on tomorrow? I love reading your blog, you are so descriptive it makes me feel like I'm right there, cold and all... I think the church looks beautiful in the pic.