Monday, November 1, 2010

All Saint's Day

Yesterday was a pretty simple day, filled with sitting around the house staring at the rain outside. Eventually Dany finished doing whatever he was doing and made the 45 minute trip to get me (a trip I'm sure he loathes by now.) We ate Chinese, and to say the restaurant was packed would be an understatement. Chinese here is a lot better than in America and no one questions if the meat is actually cat. 

Today I sleep in (again) because I am 99% sure I will wake up to the same rain as yesterday. Open up weird Italian blinds, and sure enough it is raining. I don't want to waste another day, so I get dressed, grab my umbrella, and head out in to the world. It is All Saint's Day in Italia, a holiday in which people celebrate the dead (and maybe saints?) In a Roman Catholic country this means everything comes to a stand still.

This indoor carousel is literally the only thing open.  It's still raining, and I keep walking around trying to deny it's slowly raining harder. After walking around 20 minutes under the now pouring sky, I decide to head back home. I give up on any significant adventures for today.

Attempt to watch Italian television, but only understand every 10th word. Try to watch The Office, but it is unavailable outside of the US. (Really want to smack whoever made this decision. The Office is the best thing we could possibly export.)

Eventually am bored enough to attempt wandering in the rain again. It's dusk, but I walk around until after dark in the rain. Find nothing open except tents selling key chains and t-shirts.

Come home to mystery that I have been unable to solve since day one. Some days, in the hall right outside my bedroom there is a dresser-like piece of furniture.


Other days, I come home and there is only a vase sitting on the floor. Sometimes dresser-like thing will disappear and reappear multiple times in one day. Someone is messing with the American girl's head.

Would like to add that the entire time I am writing, someone is outside holding their hand down on their car horn. As Dany would say, "Welcome to Italy."

2 comments:

Diane said...

Umm, maybe it's not a dresser, but some cleverly disguised appliance they have to take outside to use...

Diane said...

amanda i belive if you open the cabinet you will find a bed, looks very similar to the murphy style beds i had in my ocean front villa when i lived there. i guess its there if you have a guest and need the foldout bed for them that's why it keeps moving. i knew there would be nothing open on sunday bur even with monday being a somewhat holiday i thought at least the out door flea market was open, love you dad