Monday, November 8, 2010

Lucca

Sorry, I haven't been kidnapped, just busy.

Saturday Mona and I go to Lucca. I'd heard a lot about it (and it sounds like my nephew's name) so I was excited to go. You can definitely see the effects of autumn, everything is in shades of yellow, orange, and red. I love it!


Lucca is not nearly as big as I expected. I do find it quite charming though. There are not too many people, lots of ancient buildings, and it's enclosed in a pretty awesome wall. 

I wish I could say, oh I saw _____! And it is so _____! But really, I have I have no idea what I'm looking at. I just occasionally glance at the photos in the postcard shop. I figure if someone made it in to a postcard, it's worth seeing. Even though I would love to know the history of everything, I'm happier than I expected just to wander around where I want, and take pictures of anything I find interesting.

I don't count the number of churches I see in any city, because there are just too many. If you think there are a lot of churches in the "bible belt", you haven't been to Italy.

I like how all the churches have bell towers. The little songs are a nice way to announce the time (unless it is 12, then they go on forever.)

The town is completely deserted when Mona and I arrive. The only people we see are other tourists. Mona decides I am in charge of the map (she doesn't know me well.) I do quite well with it, and I am even able to help a few other lost tourists.

We wander around Lucca for an hour and realize we've seen everything. Really didn't expect that! Mona chooses a place to eat lunch (everything is the same to me) and we talk about the differences in Denmark/Italy/America. We also continue to discuss how unfair it is that the school is splitting us. I really enjoy her company, and giving her the crazy face when our teacher is talking fast.

After lunch we continue our walk. At every intersection we have a quick discussion on which way to go. Some how we end up on the top of the wall, which is wide enough for pedestrians, lots of bicycles, and a car or two if they could drive up stairs. The views are wonderful. There's plenty of grass, mountains, blue skies, and leaves in all shades. The wall is lined with trees.

Because it is not a responsibility many people trust me with, I forget I am in charge of the map. My impulsive decisions brought us up the wall, but I can't find a way back down. I ask for help from a middle aged man and his wife, and for the first time in Italy I am rejected. I am really shocked, because Italians as a whole are extremely willing to help, especially when you attempt to ask in Italian. I ask the next person I see, who unfortunately isn't from Lucca but points us in the general direction.

On our way back to the train station, Mona and I agree that Lucca is smaller than expected but a great place to spend an afternoon walking.

Sunday I go to the mall with Dany and his cousin. Apparently everyone in Lucca, Pisa, and Tuscany in general wants to shop here. Dany is surprised I don't go crazy shopping- I am an American woman, right? (I am tempted, but I'm with two boys and I know I would make them crazy.) He also tells me I am amazingly pale for a Floridian. I want to tease back, but unfortunately the only thing I can think of is "yo momma", and I know that is not an option to say in Italy.

1 comment:

LaurenDixon said...

you shouldve been like.. YO MOMMA, BOOM ROASTED. and then tell him in america, its a compliment.