Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hello!


I'm falling so far behind on the blog!

The picture is from Wednesday night, when Sabrina (one of my classmates) had a get together at her house. Everyone brought a dish from their country. All together there was German, Chinese, Portugese, French-Canadian, American, and (of course) Italian food. It was all good and definitely interesting.

I brought green bean casserole (there's nothing that's truly "American" besides McDonald's, and I refuse to bring that!) The only problem was finding the ingredients. I found one can of "mushroom soup" on the top back corner of the last shelf in the grocery store. It had a little dust on it, but it hadn't expired yet. Cost about $5... no wonder no one buys it! Couldn't find French onions and didn't think to make them myself. Also couldn't find pepper. I considered making peanut butter cookies instead, but I couldn't find the sugar. I KNOW Italy has sugar, but when I asked where it was, the clerk just said "in front." In front of what?! Decided to stick with original plan. Bought potato sticks hoping it would be at least a little like onions. By far not the best thing I have made, but oh well!

Class has been going well. Right now we're going over "conditional" verbs. I don't really understand it because there's not an equivalent in English. It's basically a way to use a verb when it's a possibility, an opinion, or said politely. I suppose sticking "may I" in front of verbs is as close as English gets. I understand how to conjugate them, but thinking about how to use them just hurts my head too much.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I would have never thought of "green bean casserole" as a famously American dish, but I guess it really is. You could have made hot dogs, but they are so American you would have been lucky to find any (or any that were made out of meat Americans typically eat.LOL!)So what were some of the dishes others brought, and did you all know how to tell each other what your dishes were, or did you have to play charades to figure them out? We miss you! Love Dad & Diane